Work Experience PEI is a short term employment program that provides job seekers with an opportunity to work on a project for a local organization. The on-the-job work experience will help the job seeker develop new skills needed for employment in the workforce.
Who is eligible to participate?
If you are unemployed and looking for a short term work experience you are eligible to apply.
- You must be legally authorized to work in Canada (Canadian citizen or permanent resident);
- You must have a current claim for Employment Insurance benefits; or
- Have a previous EI claim whose benefit period ended in the preceding 36 months; or
- Have a previous benefit period that began in the preceding 60 months, during which the individual was paid maternity or parental benefits, after which they left the labour market to care for a newborn or newly adopted child and are now seeking to re-enter the labour market;
- Other criteria may apply.
How do I apply?
You must apply directly with the organization. The organization will interview and select a candidate. If you are selected, the organization will submit your name to SkillsPEI. We will contact you to discuss the next steps which will include meeting with a case manager to complete a needs assessment and develop a Return-To-Work-Action-Plan. To be approved we will need:
- Completed Work Experience PEI Individual application form;
- Return to Work Action Plan prepared by your case manager;
- SkillsPEI Consent Form.
How does the program work?
You will receive a weekly allowance or EI benefits or a combination of the two each week while you are working on the project.
Delivered by the Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning and funded in whole or part through the Canada-PEI Labour Market Agreements.