- Posted on: September 11, 2018
- $80,000 per year for 40 hours per week
- Starting Date: June 30, 2018
- Permanent Full-time
- Job Listing Expires: December 31, 2018
- 1 Vacancy
The Software Design Specialist will be responsible for the efficient production of high-quality software solutions and related internal and end-user documentation. Projects can vary in size and scope such as to require working independently or in moderately sized structured teams.
The position is responsible for ensuring that solutions are developed in accordance with established AKA software methodological practices, that the end result always meets, and is seen to meet, the needs of the client, whether internal or external to the company, that both AKA and its clients, as the case may be, are kept informed of current project status in a timely manner, especially when agreed-to outcomes are in jeopardy, and that, in all cases, work is conducted with a high degree of tact, courtesy and integrity.
The position is additionally responsible for ensuring that projects are well defined, designed and constructed in accordance with the agreed scope, budget, and schedule while providing a high level of customer service.
- Interface with employees, contractors, and/or customers to determine project scope, requirements, deliverables, budgets and schedules.
- Design, develop, configure, program, test, troubleshoot, and debug applications.
- Develop applications using a range of programming tools, such as but not limited to database applications, C++, C#, SQL, S7 SCL, etc.
- Define hardware and software functional specifications.
- Provide hardware configurations and solutions for PC based control systems in the field.
- Supervise installation and providing operating training of systems on site.
- Develop development and user oriented documentation to support software products.
- Work in accordance with AKA software methodology. identifying improvements and developing software solutions as directed to support these processes.
- As directed, develop applications that interface with AKA Control Products and/or Solutions or that enhance tools used by AKA
- Maintain and provide ongoing support for existing applications in the field and at AKA sites.
- Work with AKA field and project personnel as required by the AKA Senior Systems Engineer or Project Manager.
Education & Experience
- Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in the development of database applications.
- Experience in the design, development, programming, troubleshooting, debugging and documentation for Windows desktop and web applications as well as web services.
- Experience in one or more of the following development environments: Microsoft Visual Studio, Borland C++ Builder
- Experience using Git for software version control or similar tools
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of development methodologies and best practices.
- Proven analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Effective communication and customer relations skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Able to work effectively under pressure, adjust to changing priorities and adapt to new work environments.
- Able to take a proactive approach to problems and their resolution.
- Tailor communication (e.g., content, style and medium) to diverse audiences.
- Read cues from diverse listeners to assess when and how to change planned communication approach to effectively deliver messages.
- Communicate equally effectively at varied organizational levels.
- Understand others’ underlying needs, motivations, emotions or concerns and communicate effectively despite the sensitivity of the situation.
- Persists in finding solutions
- Considers ideas from a variety of sources (e.g. literature, peers) in order to solve problems
- Anticipates and responds in a proactive manner to future needs (of external clients and internal groups) that may not be obvious to others.