- Posted on: January 10, 2019
- $18.00 per hour for 40+ hours per week
- Starting Date: April 15, 2019
- Seasonal Full-time
- Job Listing Expires: November 17, 2019
- 1 Vacancy
Assistant Golf Course Superintendent
This is a key position and second in command within the Golf Course Maintenance Department. Works directly with the Golf Course Superintendent to help develop a daily work schedule and coordinate the related activities and necessary equipment with the staff. Training, supervision and reviewing of golf course employees along with supervision of construction projects and specific maintenance activities on the golf course and club grounds, fall under the Assistant Superintendent’s duties.
Specifically, the Assistant Golf Course Superintendent must:
- Help promote player satisfaction through quality maintenance and communications.
- Orientates each individual crew member to obtain a thorough understanding of their job classification, objectives and duties.
- Works with the Superintendent and other key staff members to constantly improve the golf course, club grounds, maintenance facility and compound, plus all safety programs.
- Continues educational development by reading selected materials, attending local turf seminars and playing golf.
- Help schedule and supervise the daily operations of the maintenance crew.
- Train, motivate and supervise the staff in a capable manner.
- Help plan, schedule and monitor all daily operations including insuring adequate staffing schedules for daily needs as well as coordinating vacations.
- Assist in establishing, promoting and enforcing safety practices.
- Oversees the cleanliness of the golf course equipment and maintenance facility, including the entire compound.
- Oversees the cleanliness of the golf course and club grounds.
- Assists the Superintendent with record keeping for supplies, daily logs, application records, weather condition records and personnel records including verifying departmental staff time cards.
- Is capable of the proper application of pesticides and fertilizers.(valid PEI pesticide licence)
- Always communicates in a totally professional manner including to subordinates, management, other staff on property, suppliers, as well as members and other guests and potential guests.
- Have a strong understanding and continue to expand in turf grass culture, course conditioning, course construction and reconstruction, and up to date rules of golf, the proper use of fertilizers and pesticides as well as staying up to date on new golf course equipment, including irrigation equipment.
- Competent to perform all duties or tasks relative to the Irrigation, setup and maintenance.
- Competent to operate irrigation control system.
- Basic knowledge of the mechanical, hydraulic and electrical components involving the ongoing pump station maintenance.
- Know golf course and club grounds irrigation systems in detail.
- Performs tasks that are necessary to keep maintenance facility and equipment clean, organized and safe on a daily basis.
- Inspects all equipment and tools that are assigned to specific tasks and reports any deficiencies.
- Fills in to perform all functions and routine golf course maintenance activities as directed by the Golf Course Superintendent.
- Become thoroughly trained in the proper procedures required to perform each task before performing each task.
- Insure that personal protective equipment is worn.
- Expert at identifying water drought stress areas on turf grass.
- Gain expert knowledge of golf course watering principles and practices.
- Perform basic irrigation head repairs, if necessary.
- Know locations of all heads, valves and quick couplers.
- Oversee proper trimming of all above.
- Continue to locate and mandate proper levelling of valve boxed, sprinkler heads and quick couplers.
- Perform proper irrigation related pipe repairs, when required.
- Be capable of assisting in trouble shooting wiring problems.
- Ability to perform mathematic calculations especially fractions and calibration techniques.
- Possess good organizational skills.
- Must possess logical and scientific thinking to solve problems.
- Ability to carry out and communicate to others detailed, written or verbal instructions, as well as to retrieve information from technical courses.
- Ability to visually inspect golf course conditions and report findings.
- Have a valid driver’s license and be able to operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to effectively monitor and develop subordinates.
- Ability to perform heavy physical labor.
- May be required to work in an environment that includes such activities as bending, lifting, stooping, kneeling, climbing, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling and grasping for up to 5 hours without sitting.
- May need to lift up to 100 lbs. occasionally and up to 50 lbs. frequently.
This job description does not state or imply that the above duties and responsibilities are the only duties associated with this position. An employee holding this position may be required to perform other, on the job related duties as requested. Requirements may be subject to modification only to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.
Countryview Golf Club is known for consistent conditions and we strive for excellence everyday. Wage/Salary to be determined with the successful candidate. Position is full time from April to November. To apply use the button below.
SkillsAbility to Multitask; Ability to Take Initiative; Organizational Skills;
Apply to this job online at workpei.ca/jobs
You must sign in to apply for this position.