Seafood Express (P.E.I.) Ltd.
- Posted on: January 20, 2020
- $45,000-$60,000 per year for 40 hours per week
- Starting Date: February 17, 2020
- Permanent Full-time
- Job Listing Expires: February 10, 2020
- 1 Vacancy
Under the direction of the Logistics Manager, the Logistics Planner works within the Logistics department to organize, plan and prioritize the shipment of freight for the Logistics Coordinators. The Logistics Planner will monitor the movement of freight to determine where to assign and schedule loads in priority based on customer, driver and company needs, while minimizing empty miles and wait times. Additionally, the Logistics Planner will handle customer inquiries for quoting new and existing freight, and assist with sales activity to produce new freight opportunities for the organization.
· Organize, plan and prioritize loads based on company and driver needs.
· Identify trucks arriving at shippers and receivers that do not already have a preplan and coordinate their next move.
· Quote rate requests from customers.
· Develop new freight opportunities through existing and new customers via phone, email, load boards and other methods.
· Coordinate special routing requests on a case by case basis for key customers.
· Create cost effective solutions to the logistics department that meets customer and company needs.
· From time-to-time, meet with customers to negotiate specific logistical details.
· Analyze logistics data and suggest improvements based on key performance indicators.
· Prepare and present reports to senior management to help with decision-making surrounding company operations.
· Under the direction of the Logistics Manager, Oversee the day-to-day activities of each Logistics Coordinator to ensure safe, on-time delivery of loads and job performance is kept up to standard for each customer.
Communication with Customers and Company Staff
· Provide timely and professional responses to customers with inquiries, questions or concerns.
· Demonstrate professional communication to Logistics Coordinators with sufficient detail to reduce misunderstandings or errors.
· Communicate respectfully and professionally with drivers.
· When required, receive and respond to requests for emergency assistance and contact emergency services such as ambulances, police, tow-trucks, or utility crews
Education and Training
· A minimum of a high school diploma or GED
· Post-Secondary Education in a field related to: Business, Logistics or Supply Chain is an asset
· Effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
· Ability to handle high-stress situations in a professional manner
· Working knowledge of PC and business applications, including Microsoft programs
· Ability to speak other languages is an asset
Experience, Skills, Abilities
· 1-3 years experience in a similar role or industry experience
· Must be proficient with technology and able to learn industry-specific programs
· Knowledge of Canadian and U.S. laws and regulations (e.g. Hours of Service, E-log)
· Knowledge of North American geography would be an asset
· Experience in the use of Logistics software including Omnitracs (Shaw Tracking), Accellos, Driver Hours of Service, PC Miler, and iBright would be an asset
· Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
· Logistics Planners require the ability to remain calm, clear and in control; especially in emergency situations
· The Logistics Planner communicates using computer software, email, or phone; at times with Drivers improving their English language skills. An ability to listen, speak plainly and communicate effectively is necessary
· Logistics Planners require excellent analytical skills
· Logistics Planners must be highly organized and able to concentrate in an environment with noise and interruptions
· A Logistics Planner requires the ability to read maps and communicate directions clearly
· Sufficient knowledge of equipment terminology to accurately communicate with others
· Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook email
· Logistics software including Omnitracs (Shaw Tracking), Accellos, Driver Hours of Service, PC Miler, and iBright
· Terminology related to transportation equipment (truck, reefer, trailer, etc.)
Working with others
Principal Contacts within Seafood Express (P.E.I.) Ltd.:
· Continuous communication with colleagues in Logistics to maximize efficiency and distribute work equitably.
· Ongoing communication with Logistics Coordinators to provide loads for their trucks and drivers, documentation, and moves.
· The Logistics Planner will be cross-trained in all logistics skills in order to replace colleagues on leave or assist when workload is not equal due to factors such as seasonality, or other factors
Human Resources team/Finance team
· Communicate with the Human Resources office to provide or hear feedback and resolve problems with drivers or Logistics Coordinators
· As required, communicate with billing to discuss paperwork, invoices and payment
· As needed, to resolve issues and communicate Seafood Express (P.E.I.) Ltd. policies and business objectives
· Provide reports on Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) for the fleet, Logistics Coordinators and Customers.
Principal Contacts Outside Seafood Express (P.E.I.) Ltd.:
· Provide accurate and timely communication on rate requests, freight needs or issues, and other scenarios as required
· Coordinate assignment to/from other carriers/brokers when demand is greater than Seafood Express (P.E.I.) Ltd. Capacity or when Seafood Express (P.E.I.) Ltd. has extra capacity
You must sign in to apply for this position.