As part of a project team, the Technical Writer and Documentation Specialist will be responsible for the development, implementation, and administration of AKA’s documentation strategies for multiple projects. The incumbent will be responsible for defining documentation requirements, determining and managing schedules, as well as researching, writing, producing, and maintaining technical documentation.
The incumbent will ensure that documentation projects are well defined and administered in accordance with the agreed scope, budget, and schedule while providing a high level of customer service.
This position will also provide technical support, as required, to the Director of Operations and other Project Managers on a wide range of technical projects.
- Defining documentation and end user requirements.
- Consulting with clients and end users on the process and writing standards for the development of documentation.
- Actively involving the front-line user in the design of documentation by soliciting feedback and listening for opportunities to improve customer satisfaction.
- Determining target audiences, the content, and the best presentation of various technical documents.
- Providing documentation plans, estimating work effort, determining duration of projects, and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Researching, and writing clear, concise and easily understood written material including, but not limited, to technical and non-technical documentation, user guides, operation and maintenance manuals, installation manuals, and training guides.
- Develop content for functional descriptions and design verification test procedures from electrical schematic drawings.
- Generating and modifying text, tables, illustrations, and diagrams.
- Analyzing documentation requirements to determine impact and relationships with existing documentation.
- Maintaining and updating existing documentation, and creating technical supplements to existing documentation.
- Ensuring accuracy, quality, clarity, and consistency by coordinating technical and editorial reviews and implementing required changes.
- Working with clients and technical experts to determine and ensure technical accuracy of documents.
- Liaising with, and integrating feedback from, other documentation team members, developers, clients and the engineering group.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with subject matter experts.
Education & Experience
- Degree in Engineering or a related field, or a combination of education and experience suitable to the position.
- Significant experience in technical writing and in the production of documentation.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop accurate and comprehensible technical documentation.
- Active interest in writing content in general.
- Proven ability to review material/information consistently and thoroughly, ensuring high standards of accuracy and completeness, with attention to detail.
- Excellent written communication skills with proficiency in grammar, spelling and simple language use.
- Effective communication, interpersonal and customer relation skills.
- Proven analytical, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Flexible, adaptable and able to work effectively in a constantly changing environment.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient at the advanced level in the use of MS Office Products, including Word, Excel, Visio, and Outlook.
- Proficient at the advanced level in the use of Adobe Acrobat Products for the purposes of PDF publishing and distribution.
- Considerable knowledge of marine, petroleum industry and control systems technology or other relevant technical field.
- Considerable knowledge of technical writing techniques and tools, and of document design principles.
- Tailor communication (e.g., content, style and medium) to diverse audiences;
- Read cues from diverse listeners to assess when and how to change planned communication approach to effectively deliver messages;
- Communicate equally effectively at varied organizational levels;
- Understand others’ underlying needs, motivations, emotions or concerns and communicate effectively despite the sensitivity of the situation.
- Persists in finding solutions
- Considers ideas from a variety of sources (e.g. literature, peers) in order to solve problems